Six Suspected Pirates Captured in the Gulf of Aden

News Agencies | 2024-05-11 08:27 PM UTC
Six Suspected Pirates Captured in the Gulf of Aden

 

 

A product tanker was targeted by a suspected pirate attack in the Gulf of Aden on Friday, leading to the apprehension of six individuals by the European Union Naval Force (EUNAVFOR). The UK Maritime Trade Operations (UKMTO) reported the vessel had been approached by a small craft carrying 5-6 armed individuals with ladders. The ship's Master reported that the vessel implemented self-protection measures when approached. The individuals on the small craft opened fire, leading the vessel's Armed Security Team to return fire, causing the small craft to abort its approach. The vessel and its crew are reported to be safe following the attack.

 

The Yemeni government has called on the UN Security Council to pressure the Houthi group to stop its escalating behavior and engage positively with efforts to bring peace to Yemen. This came during a meeting between Yemen's Permanent Representative to the United Nations, Ambassador Abdullah al-Saadi and President of the Security Council for this month, Pedro Comissário Afonso, according to Yemen's state-run Saba News Agency. Al-Saadi called on his Mozambican counterpart, who heads the council this month, to support Yemen's peace process actively. Peace talks in Yemen have been paralyzed over the past six months in line with the escalations in the Red Sea and the Gulf of Aden.

 

The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) has confirmed the reduction of its humanitarian and relief assistance in Yemen due to a funding shortage. The statement indicated that "in 2023, the UNHCR's income decreased by about one billion dollars despite having to respond to emergencies in more than 20 countries and the continued growth in the number of forcibly displaced persons worldwide." According to the statement, the UNHCR reduced planned expenditures in four countries - Jordan, Lebanon, the Syrian Arab Republic (Syria), and Yemen. According to the statement, there was a 25% reduction in cash assistance for 20,000 families in 2024.

 

Israel has told tens of thousands more Palestinians to leave Rafah as it intensifies military operations in southern Gaza. Flyers dropped from the air and posts on social media told residents in the city's eastern districts to go to al-Mawasi - a narrow coastal area that Israel calls an "expanded humanitarian zone". Parts of Rafah, where the streets were packed with locals and displaced people just days ago, now look like a ghost town. Israel has said it will proceed with planned operations in Rafah despite the US and other allies warning that a ground offensive could lead to mass civilian casualties and a humanitarian crisis.