Houthi Missile and Drone Activity Expands as Yemeni Forces Intensify Operations

Sheba Intelligence | 2026-08-20 04:35 PM UTC

 

   Houthi missile and drone activity has intensified across northern Yemen as government forces expand operations against launch sites, military positions and other threat sources along multiple fronts.

Sources told Sheba Intelligence that recent movements in Harf Sufyan, Amran Governorate, coincided with the deployment of a mobile launch position for long-range ballistic missiles in Wadi Al-Hirah.

According to the information, Houthi missile units have been moving mobile launchers between different locations and using field camouflage during preparations. The launchers are concealed at temporary firing positions before being moved again after operations, apparently to reduce the period in which they remain exposed to detection and counter-strikes.

Sheba has not independently verified whether a missile launch has already taken place from the newly identified position.

 

Drone Preparations Preceded Houthi Attack Claims

The missile activity comes one day after Sheba Intelligence reported preparations for a Houthi drone operation from northern Al-Jawf.

On August 19, Sheba sources detected the deployment of fixed launch platforms for one-way attack drones near Jabal Wa’ar in Al-Yatmah, together with personnel involved in launch operations.

At the time, available indicators suggested that Marib could be the primary target, while the operation could also extend toward areas near the Saudi border.

A day later, Houthi military spokesman Yahya Saree claimed that the group had carried out two drone attacks against sensitive targets in Saudi Arabia.

No independent evidence has emerged so far to substantiate the Houthi claims.

 

Government Forces Conduct 81 Operations

Government forces, meanwhile, announced a new wave of operations against Houthi positions and threat sources.

Yemeni Armed Forces spokesman Col. Majid Abdullah Al-Nuzaili said on Thursday that government forces had carried out 81 military operations over the previous 24 hours across multiple fronts.

According to the military statement, the operations targeted Houthi positions, personnel, firing sources, vehicles and military equipment, and resulted in the neutralisation of several field commanders and fighters as well as the destruction of military assets and other threat sources.

The announcement follows a broader round of operations earlier this week, when the Yemeni military said it had carried out 181 operations within 24 hours, using drones, artillery and multiple-launch rocket systems against Houthi positions across several governorates.

 

Expanding Counter-Missile and Counter-Drone Campaign

The latest operations reflect a broader shift in the government’s battlefield activity.

Sheba Intelligence has previously reported growing use of drones in coordination with artillery and targeting systems to detect Houthi movements, transmit target coordinates and strike reinforcements, launch positions and other military assets.

Earlier operations in Marib and Al-Jawf also targeted sites linked to ballistic missiles, drones, command facilities and weapons storage, according to military sources cited by Sheba.

The current pattern points to an increasingly direct contest over launch capability and counter-strike capability.

Houthi forces are dispersing missile and drone systems across northern Yemen, while government forces are attempting to detect, disrupt and destroy those systems before they can be used.

The activity detected in Harf Sufyan and Al-Jawf therefore does not appear isolated. It comes amid a wider escalation in missile, drone and long-range strike activity, extending the operational theatre from internal front lines toward Yemen’s northern border with Saudi Arabia.